I love black beans and rice. It’s a dish I never get tired of eating. In fact, when we went to Costa Rica for a work retreat, they served us black beans and rice for breakfast and I loved it. The dish is high in fiber and protein and low in fat. So why change up a tried and true recipe?
It just so happened I had a big, beautiful sweet potato sitting on my counter for a few days. It made me wonder how it would taste if I added it to the black beans and skipped the rice. Well, it was AMAZING and it’s an easy dish you have to try.
- 1 Can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 Stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Sweet Potato chopped into small cubes
- ¼ – ½ cup of Organic Chicken Broth (depending on size of sweet potato)
- 1 Chile Pepper or other hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1-2 TBSP Cumin
- Salt & Pepper
Sauté the onion, carrots, Chile pepper and celery in a small amount of olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the sweet potato, cumin and chicken broth and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Add a can of black beans and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Please send your favorite black bean recipe with us!
Happy & Healthy Cooking,